Wednesday, October 6, 2010

La Cloche Silhouette Trail

3 years ago I ran the La Cloche Silhouette Trail in Killarney Provincial Park with Peter Demos (owner of Muskoka Outfitters) in a fast time of 14hrs 15mins. We did the trail counterclockwise. I have spent many hours online, reading and emailing people trying to find a record that is better then the one that we already have...... so far the only one that comes close is 17hrs ish.

Tomorrow morning Peter Glassford and myself are going to see if we can best our time on the trail. We are shooting for a 12hr finish time and are running clockwise this time. I will be posting a trip report and gear list etc.... after we are done.

We are hitting the trail at around 0430.

"May we make wise choices".

2 comments:

Patrick Dennis said...

I'm curious to know exactly how much food you are going to eat. ps. you guys are completely insane.

Anonymous said...

This is amazing. I did it in 3 and then 4 days (twice, a month apart) in 2004 -- ultralight. I think two days is very difficult with the weight of shelter etc., but I've always been intrigued by one day. My rough hiking times on the three day trip, with running shoes and a pack that went from 30 to 20 lbs, were 8, 7 and 11 hours to over about 30, 30 and 40 km, counter-clockwise. That's 26 hours.

I think running in June 21 or so gives you about 17 hour of daylight; you could even start an hour before daylight. So if I drop most of the pack weight I wonder if jogging a bit would let me cut 35% of my time. Or, looked another way, if the trail is 80km, can you jog two marathons with a bit of weight (water, food) and a lot of mountains in the middle in 17 hours?

I'm curious how fast you felt you were going -- I mean, I imagine you're still at a snail's pace relative to a 10k.